In 2012, Intuit, the creator of Quickbooks, released a tool called Quickbooks File Doctor. This tool was created with the common errors in mind that users encounter when working with QuickBooks software in mind. Furthermore, the Quickbooks file doctor tool has been integrated into QuickBooks 2016 and subsequent versions. This tool detects and fixes errors automatically. In this article, we will go over this magical tool, Quickbooks file doctor, in great detail.
Meaning of QuickBooks File Doctor
The Quickbooks file doctor tool detects and repairs damaged company files in QuickBooks. It is also useful for troubleshooting QuickBooks network issues. It is a simple tool for troubleshooting and resolving many common problems with QuickBooks company files and network issues. This tool is only integrated and built-in in QuickBooks 2016 and later versions. It should be noted that this tool is only compatible with the QuickBooks versions available in the United Kingdom and the United States. QuickBooks for Mac users cannot access it.
Before contacting technical support, it is best to run Quickbooks File Doctor if you encounter an error in QuickBooks.
Errors that QuickBooks File Doctor can fix
If you are facing any error from the below list, it is recommended to use the Quickbooks file doctor tool to resolve such issues.
|Error code -6150||Error Code -6000 -82||QB Error Code -6000 -305|
|Error code -6000 -301||Network Errors||Installation Errors|
|Error in updating QuickBooks||Firewall port poorly configured||QB Error 6147, -6130|
|Other 6000 series error||Multi-user mode errors||Damaged company files|
|Damaged windows registry||Data corruption error||Malware attacks hard drive|
|QuickBooks database server
manager related bugs
|Unable to open QuickBooks company files||Various types of H series error|
|QuickBooks Error H202||Missing or blank vendor, customer, or employee lists||QB error code H505|
Important Points to be noted about QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- Before downloading the latest version, the existing QuickBooks file doctor tool must be uninstalled.
- Although QuickBooks 2015 carries a built-in file doctor tool, it is advised that you use an obvious file doctor tool.
- The Quickbooks file doctor tool is compatible with all QuickBooks desktops for windows.
- If there is any error, the file doctor tool may appear automatically.
Types of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
There are two types of file doctor tools available on Intuit’s official website, which are as follows:
- In-built version
- Stand-alone version
QuickBooks File Doctor is available in QuickBooks Desktop 2016 and later versions. As a result, you can get the built-in version in these QuickBooks versions.
Only servers that have activated the QuickBooks Database Server Manager can use the stand-alone version of the Quickbooks file doctor tool. This is done for the purposes of hosting and connectivity. Now, let’s see how to download the stand-alone version of the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
Download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool like a Pro
The easiest way to download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is given below:
- In the first step, download the QuickBooks tool hub and then move to the “Downloads” folder by pressing the Ctrl+J keys together.
- Next, press on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe in the downloads list.
- In the next step, click on ‘Yes’ to accept the license agreement.
- Press on the ‘Next’ option, and then click on the Install button.
- Click on Finish, once the installation process is completed.
- Now, click on the QuickBooks tool Hub icon.
After downloading the Tool Hub program, you are required to carry on the steps to run the Quickbooks file doctor tool.
Things to remember before running QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
However, before starting the QuickBooks file doctor, few things which you need to consider is given below:
- Before accessing the file doctor tool, it is necessary to have admin credentials
- A proper internet connection is a necessity.
- You should comply with a certain file size limit i.e. 15GB
- Check that you have only one version of QuickBooks installed on the system.
- Before accessing the file doctor, it is advisable to update QuickBooks to the current version.
- File doctor can be accessed by only Windows OS users and not by MAC users.
Quick steps to run QuickBooks file doctor Tool
- To run the Quickbooks file doctor tool, select the company file issue tab from the tool hub.
- Choose the ‘Run QuickBooks File Doctor’ option now.
- Next, in the QuickBooks file doctor, choose the company file from the drop-down menu. If you are unable to see the file, click on browse and look for that specific file.
- Select the ‘Check the file’ option and press on ‘Continue’
- At last, enter QuickBooks admin password, and hit ‘Next’
Please note that the scan time depends on the file size. However, it might take up to 5 minutes or maybe longer.
How to Use QuickBooks File Doctor Stand-Alone Version
Steps to use the stand-alone version of the Quickbooks file doctor tool is given below:
- To use the stand-alone version of QuickBooks, you need to have the current version of the file doctor tool.
- You have the option to download the QuickBooks file doctor tool from the official website of Intuit. In case the QB doctor file is already present, then simply click on ‘Run’.
- To finish the installation, double-click on the QuickBooks file doctor tool icon and follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
- After the installation of the tool, if the icon doesn’t show up on the screen, you can take the help of the Windows taskbar.
- Next, two options will be displayed from the file doctor tool window. You need to select the one that defines your issue.
- In case you have received a 6000 series error or the company file gets damaged, then you are required to choose the first option.
- In case there is any network issue, then select the second option.
- Following that, when prompted, type in the Company file Admin password and then click on the ‘Next button.
- To diagnose and fix the error, opt for the two options mentioned below:
- Workstation option: This option should be chosen if you are diagnosing and troubleshooting a client’s system.
- Server option: If you are diagnosing and troubleshooting issues on the QuickBooks client system, choose the second option. The term “client system” refers to the fact that the QuickBooks company file is not stored or hosted on that system.
- Now, if you are working on the QuickBooks server/host, click on the ‘Yes’ button or else select ‘No’, if you are on the QuickBooks workstation.
- The Quickbooks file doctor tool will now repair the company files automatically.
However, you have to wait till the time file doctor tool completes the diagnosing and fixing process.
- Close file doctor tool, once the process comes to an end.
- You are recommended to open the company file irrespective of the positive or negative outcomes.
How to use QuickBooks File Doctor Built-in Versions
QuickBooks accounting software versions released by Intuit after 2015 include a QuickBooks file doctor tool as a built-in feature. This internal feature detects and resolves issues on its own. You can easily access the tool by pressing the start button with only human intervention. There are a few more steps that can be taken to make the most of this powerful tool:
- To begin, launch QuickBooks and make certain that the company file remains unopened.
- Then, go to the File menu and select the Utility option.
- In order to run the QuickBooks file doctor tool, select ‘repair file’
- The next step in the process is to select the Browse option, then select the company file that needs to be repaired and select the Open option.
- Moving on, from the Show advanced settings window, select the type of fix you want, and then tap the next option.
- Enter the administrator ID and password and then click next to proceed.
- Lastly, when the diagnosis process is finished, try launching the company file again.
Probable Outcomes while using Quickbooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool did not detect any problem:
The first scenario is when the QuickBooks file doctor tool is unable to detect any kind of bug. In this case, you may need to re-login to the company file, and if the error persists, you may need to enable Auto data recovery and then enter the transactions since the last backup.
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool diagnoses and resolves an issue:
The second likely scenario is that the Quickbooks file doctor tool detects an issue, and you are then instructed to tap on “Open new company” when the process is complete. This is regarded as one of the most positive outcomes of the process.
Issue detected but error can’t be resolved:
This is the final scenario that could occur if you run the File Doctor tool. In this case, it is recommended to configure the auto data recovery tool as well as manually enter the transactions since the last backup or upload the file on its own.
What to do after repairing QuickBooks?
After you’ve completed the diagnosis and repair procedures, all that remains is to back up the QuickBooks company file data and save the backup data file to a removable hard drive. It is advised that you backup your data at the end of each month.
In case the file doctor is not working:
During the diagnosis of the company file, you may be unable to use QuickBooks File doctor and an error message stating “File doctor is not working” will appear on the screen. The QuickBooks file doctor tool error could be seen as a result of the following factors:
- You’re attempting to make changes to the company file.
- Or if you failed to install any company files during the installation process
- .In case you are unable to restore the files.
- In addition, if there is any damage or corruption in the files.
- The backup of the QBW file must be restored.
- Then, to resolve the QuickBooks file doctor not working error, use auto data recovery.
- In addition, you can configure the antivirus software and disable the hosting mode.
If used correctly, the QuickBooks file doctor tool can be a magical tool. After reading the detailed information mentioned in this article, we expect you to be able to make the best use of the Quickbooks file doctor tool. However, there is a possibility that the technical aspects of the software and tool will confuse the users. In that case, you can take the help of technical assistance.
Read More On The Mashtun